Falls are a major cause of injury and death in Ontario workplaces. The vast majority of these accidents are falls from heights—even though the height may be no more than two or three metres. Most of these injuries and deaths have happened because fall protection was either missing or not used.
In Ontario, employers are required to provide workers with fall-protection training if the workers will be exposed to fall hazards. The links below contain helpful information about fall protection training, and ways to prevent fall accidents and fatalities.
If your workers face fall hazards, youre required to provide them with fall-protection training. Register them for IHSAs new program Working at Heights Fundamentals of Fall Prevention. We also offer a Working at Heights Instructor Workshop.
Construction Health and Safety Manual
Articles and Documents
- Ladder use in Construction Guideline
- Residential framers: How to prevent falls (Health & Safety Magazine, Vol 11, Issue 2)
- Fall protection: What to use when (Health & Safety News, Aug 2010)
- Protecting Young Workers (IHSA Magazine, Vol 13, Issue 1)
- Wind turbines (IHSA Magazine, Vol 13, Issue 1)
- MOL Blitz Results 2012 (IHSA Magazine, Vol 13, Issue 1)
Policy and Program Resources
A company's health and safety policy and program should include safe work practices or safe job procedures, requirements for personal protective equipment (PPE), an emergency response plan, and regular inspections. The sample documents below are a guide to help you create these elements with regards to fall hazards. For more resources, visit the Policy and Program Templates section.
Safe Work Practices/Safe Job Procedures
Personal Protective Equipment
Emergency Response Plan
Safety on Swing Stages
A Ministry of Labour health and safety inspector explains what he looks for during a swing stage inspection.
Spot the Fall Hazards: Construction
This tool, created by the Ministry of Labour, presents some common hazards that could lead to falls at low-rise construction projects.
Research and Statistics
- MOL Report Statistical information on construction fatalities and critical injuries in 2007. Comparisons with data from 2001 to 2006. Analysis by worker age and construction sector.
- Guardrail Report Research Document
- Fall Protection Guidelines: Masonry Scaffold Erection Procedures Research Document